Connect with us

BOXING

Kovalev: Canelo Alvarez is my biggest fight

Published

on

By Ponciano “John” Melo Jr.

posted October 25, 2019 at 01:58 pm

Manila Standard Digital


https://manilastandard.net/sports/sports-headlines/308423/-kovalev-canelo-alvarez-is-my-biggest-fight.html

CALIFORNIA, USA — If you ask Sergey Kovalev, Canelo Alvarez might be his biggest, toughest opponent so far.
That’s despite the Mexican boxing star losing about a couple of inches in the vertical department — and jumping about two weight classes before their fight next month.
The two boxers are set to face each other on November 2 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas for the WBO light heavyweight championship belt.
And if you ask the 36-year-old Kovalev, he doesn’t see himself as the one Canelo took out for a date with destiny in the younger fighter’s quest for a fourth world title belt in four divisions.
“I understand that a lot of people are thinking that I’m the underdog, but the ring will show our skills,” Kovalev told BoxingScene.com.
The current light heavyweight champ doesn’t see this as a one-way fight. In fact, he is pouring his heart out to try and play the spoiler’s role in Canelo being a four-division champ.
“My job is to be in the best shape and bring the best fight. I understand this fight will be dangerous for me and my boxing career,” he added.

The fight on November 2 with the natural middleweight Canelo will be another title defense for the Russian, who is now enjoying a spike in his performance under new trainer Buddy McGirt.
Kovalev, turned the tables on Eleider Alvarez, beating the Colombian after a defeat in their initial fight, reclaiming his WBO championship belt in February this year before defending his title in style via a Round 11 KO over Anthony Yarde.
According to him, he’s the “biggest name in the light heavyweight division” but he respects Canelo even though they’ve had “great opinions of each other” since they met in Big Bear in 2012.
And if he’ll be particularly blunt, this matchup with Canelo (52-1-2, 35 KOs) is a tougher one than versus Ward.
“Of course this will be a tougher fight for me than Andre Ward. Ward was a dirty fighter, he was not a real fighter … If boxing had a division between 175 and 200, I would move up, too. My goal is the same, to defend my titles until I retire,” he said.
“If someone challenges me to a fight, I cannot say no. I’m only training for victory. He’s the best in boxing, and this is my biggest test. I should be ready,” he added.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

BOXING

DAVIS VS. GARCIA IS FINALLY HAPPENING

Published

on

https://www.convergeict.com/welcome-kit-v2_promos/

After two years of social media teasing, Gervonta Davis vs. Ryan Garcia appears to be
a reality.
Garcia made the announcement on Thursday that he and Davis would square off in Las
Vegas in 2023. When Davis enters the ring on January 7 to face a yet-to-be-determined
opponent, he will declare the fight “done deal.”
“I’m so pumped this fight is finally in place I want it more than anything right now,”
Garcia wrote. “I’ve put in the work, I’m at the prime of my career, and I know I’m going to
be the biggest boxer in the world. That legacy starts today.”
Davis and Garcia were praised by Showtime Sports president Stephen Espinoza for
their perseverance in making the bout materialize despite obstacles.
Davis is looked after by Al Haymon and Floyd Mayweather’s Mayweather Promotions,
and Showtime broadcasts his fights.
Garcia is being managed by Oscar De La Hoya’s Golden Boy Promotions, and DAZN is
airing his fights.
The two teams have been at odds for a while, but they have finally come to an
understanding and put their differences aside to engage in combat.
According to reports, they will cooperate to stage the fight.
Both are stars in boxing at the moment and with the hype around each of them, the fight
is expected to be a blockbuster one.

Continue Reading

BOXING

Pacquiao-Mayweather 2 officially in talks?

Published

on

Pacquiao-Mayweather 2 officially in talks?

It has been made known that FLOYD MAYWEATHER is formally in discussions to face
Manny Pacquiao again in Las Vegas the following year with his record on the line.
After waiting for the two superstar adversaries to come to terms for half a decade, the
American defeated Pacquiao in 2015 over the course of 12 rounds.
But after eight years, the two boxing greats plan to resume their fight for a sequel to
their £500 million box office hit.
The negotiations between the two camps are being facilitated by Global Titans, who are
marketing Mayweather’s upcoming exhibition fight in Dubai.
We’re already working on Floyd and Manny Pacquaio, their CEO Uday Singh told
SunSport.
And a huge fight between Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao might be announced
as early as December. A second match, not a demonstration.
After defeating former UFC champion Conor McGregor, 34, in 2017, Mayweather, 45,
decided to retire. Since then, he has fought four exhibition matches.
Additionally, he has never discussed going back to the ring to defend his pristine 50-0
record, especially versus Pacquiao, 43.
However, Mayweather’s perspective was altered after meeting Singh in Vegas prior to
his exhibition match with YouTuber Deji on November 13.
Since Manny Pacquiao was initially hesitant as well, Singh stated: “I’ve already had the
first meeting with Manny Pacquiao.
“It’s just egos, nothing else. But at the end of the day, Floyd’s a good guy, he’s a good
fighter.
“Once you’ve satisfied him with his purse, he’s happy to fight whoever. But it’s to his
interest as well, he said, ‘Why not? Let’s do it.’
“He hasn’t had a real proper fight since 2017, the last one was with Conor McGregor.”
Singh admitted he initially faced a fight to get Mayweather to agree to a pro bout
opposed to an exhibition, but won him over eventually.
He said: “Yeah, it was hard. But then again, at the end of the day he knows what people
want and he’s an entertainer.

Continue Reading

BOXING

Ruiz downs Ortiz in heavyweight title eliminator

Published

on

Ruiz downs Ortiz in heavyweight title eliminator

Andy Ruiz Jr. is slowly getting back as a heavyweight title contender after dominating Luis Ortiz.

The former unified heavyweight world champion knocked down “King Kong” Ortiz thrice to win via unanimous decision.

Next in line for the boxer who had one of the greatest upsets in boxing history is to face the former WBC king Deontay Wilder.

Wilder, who has been out of the picture since being destroyed by Tyson Fury in their rematch, will make a return to face Robert Helenius before eventually fighting the Mexican Ortiz.

The Ruiz-Wilder bout is a big chance to happen as both heavyweights are under the boxing promoter Al Haymon.

“We’re always looking for great exciting fights we love to give the fans,” said Wilder, who was on ringside during the Ruiz-Ortiz clash.

“So if that’s what is lined up next, I’ve got to handle business and after that, we can get it on.”

AS SEEN IN BOMBO RADYO

Continue Reading

Trending